Thursday, September 19, 2013
Bat Moon Painting
I painted this a couple of weeks ago. This is the first thing that I've painted in about a year, which is a huge amount of time to go without painting, for someone like me who has painted almost every day for about 20 years. I was inspired to paint this after visiting a local vintage shop and seeing some mid-century paintings, which included many abstract forms, flowing into and overlapping each other. Paintings inspired by Kandinsky and Picasso, for the most part.
I also want to start painting things that are more surreal and symbolic than my usual stuff. Portraits are what I have the most skill and experience painting, but I think branching out could be worthwhile and help me develop and reinvigorate my imagination.
The moon and the bat are the symbols I was incorporating, though I suppose you could say that fog, mist, or perhaps clouds are a prominent symbol here (but I won't explore that). The moon is symbolic of many things, such as cycles of time, regeneration, mystery, fertility. The bat also has many symbolic connotations, such as intuition, dreams and luck. Looking at art which relies on symbols can be a meditative experience, and I'm interested in juxtaposing symbols to see what the effect might be for viewers.
What do you think of when you see a bat and a moon together? Please leave Batman out of this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment