Sunday, September 29, 2013

Goth/Industrial Nights in Portland, OR

Thought I should point out different goth/industrial nights around Portland that I've attended. These are events that happen regularly.

These events are all 21+

The Lovecraft Bar
Doesn't really belong in the category of goth/industrial nights, because technically every night is goth night at The Lovecraft Bar. You can check out their calendar to see if they have any bands playing or DJs spinning music to a specific taste. You don't have to be a fan of HP Lovecraft, but you'll appreciate the decorations a lot more if you are familiar with the author. They have a nice intimate space with a small enough dance floor that you probably won't feel awkward if it's just you and your date dancing.
I recommend the "Vortex" nights on Thursdays. Tuesdays with DJ Rhienna are good too, but I'm not really into witch house, which is part of the mix that night. Also, check out goth show and tell if you can. You don't have to participate, but it does last for a couple of hours so be prepared to listen quietly and respectfully if you show up for that event.

Shadowplay at Fez
Huge dance floor, with plenty of comfortable seating. If you come before 11, don't count on many people being there, but the place peaks just after midnight and it is really something to be on that floor surrounded by black-clad hotties of all genders. Just putting it out there, I am single and I like to be surrounded by hot people. When I have gone, they have mostly played a mix of industrial and EBM, but sometimes new wave and gothic rock get tossed into the mix.

Another awesome thing to know about this event is that it happens on Thursday nights, at the same time that Boxxes has $1 wells. Right now Boxxes is being renovated, and so they are conveniently renting space at Fez and are located on the floor below Shadowplay. If you want $1 wells, just walk down a flight of stairs and you can get your cheap drink on. Back upstairs the drinks are $4, if memory serves me, but they have a heavy pour. So it's up to you.

Church of Hive at Star Theater
Similar to Shadowplay, in terms of the crowd peaking around midnight or later. The dance floor is much smaller than Shadowplay, but it's a good size. In my opinion, DJs play a much wider range of genres from the goth music family tree at Hive, but it depends on the DJ and the requests people are making, too. Drinks are in the $4-$7 range, and very tasty. You can get a nice meal if you go onto the patio as well. You smokers can have your cancer sticks by a fire pit. Hive happens every Sunday night.

Embers
Honestly, I don't know if Embers still has goth/industrial nights. If someone out there knows and could tell me in the comments, I'd be willing to go there and check it out.
I used to go to Embers for g/i nights on Wednesdays, back in 2009. They charged a $5 cover, which was really annoying because it meant I had much less money to spend on drinks and tips.
Part of what I liked about this venue was that the walls were covered in mirrors and there were dancing cages. I know that sounds cheesy to some, but I guess my tastes are cheesy. At the time they also had drag nights in the front room of Embers, which meant that if you were tired of dancing you could see some cool drag. One was particularly memorable and awesome, I think she was Christeene Vale, the drag terrorist. Of course, all this information is worthless if they're not even doing g/i nights anymore...



I have not been to all of the goth/industrial nights in Portland. I've never been to Gothique BLEND, which happens every Monday night at The Analog, but I'd love to check it out. It seems like it's different from the other goth events around town—I assume that this one is all about the performers, not so much about a dj and a dancefloor. If you know of any other events that I haven't listed, please let me know about them! I love getting out.

No comments:

Post a Comment